Rubbish - it's true we need your help!
Roadside litter costs business and government large sums of money in clean up costs every year. Litter damages the environment and can create hazards for motorway users.
Over a 12 month period in 2007 - 2008, the Eastern Distributor maintenance crews collected an estimated 26 tonnes of waste resulting from motorist litter and lost loads on the motorway. That's equivalent in cans, bottles, wrappers and other rubbish to the weight of about 3 African Elephants!
Rubbish from passing vehicles can be washed into creeks and rivers, causing damage to the environment. We are asking motorists to help us avoid the environmental problems created by road side litter, including:
- damage to local waterways
- impacts on flora and fauna
- flooding and blockages of drainage systems
- safety hazards for motorists and cyclists
- fire hazards, when lit cigarettes are thrown from vehicles
Did you know that under NSW Legislation, members of the public to can take action against motorists who litter?
Local councils and the Department of the Environment and Climate Change have the power to issue penalty notices for littering.
You can do something about the impacts of littering. To report a litterbug, call the NSW Government Environment Line on 131 555 or for further information click here to enter the Department of Environment and Climate Change website.
Hints for keeping the motorway clean
- Keep a re-usable rubbish bag in your in your car to collect rubbish
- Ensure all loads are properly secured before driving
- Report any acts of illegal littering
We will do our bit - but we need your help.